Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Easy Week is Over & Sew What....

The dreaded "first week" is over. Guess what? It wasn't so dreadful after all. They usually aren't.

Next week will be my "bootcamp" week......5 full days that include dropping & picking up the kiddos at a sitter's house. If I am able to string a complete sentence together by the week's end, it will be a miracle.

Today I continued my quest to pinch pennys by making a faux roman shade for my home office (AKA Command Central). I have wanted to do this for some time & I always seemed to have a good procrastinating excuse; I have tried one or two times unsuccessfully to make a similar project. But this time I'm relying on the Thrifty Decor Chick, a wonderful blogger who insisted this was "Sew Simple". My first attempt was off....somehow....not sure what exactly I did wrong. But after a few hours of living with it and trying to tell myself it looked "fine", I HAD to tweak it....flying by the seat of my pants. After all that, you know what? I like it! Success! And the cost......Nada......well, at one time it cost me something but today zero dollars and zero cents. I had the rod, had the fabric, thread, etc.

My next project will be to make the same faux roman shades for the breakfast room....but first I need to decide on the fabric & do a little looking at the first set from the OUTSIDE; I need to see what someone else sees from the backside since the breakfast room windows open up to the much used patio. ;)

I love sewing. It is so peaceful...even when I mess up. There is just something calm about it and I'm glad I had the afternoon to do it.

What do I not love? Wasps. Wasps that chase me down & sting me in particular. Well to their defense I did poke their nest. Don't ask me why. Seriously. Apparently I momentarily thought I was smarter than a wasp. I was just outside picking limes from my tree when I noticed several wasps working on a nest in the lime tree...right near where I just picked limes. I had this brilliant idea I could just knock the nest out of my lime tree & they'd be confused & all "hey, where did the nest go? Huh? Weird.". But guess what? They weren't confused, they were pissed. As in "Oh no you d'int! This is SO not cool, dude" and inflicted 2 nasty stings on me before I ran away like a cartoon character waving my arms & screaming. I learned a thing or two about wasps today....like, don't poke a nest & did you know, they can sting you over and over and over and it doesn't bother them at all? Did you know the other wasps "smell" the venom & it's like a signal for them to sting you too.

So this is tired, swollen Momma signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment